Friday, January 08, 2010

Aman ki Asha

From my office, I can see a huge billboard displaying an advertisement for “Aman ki Asha”, a joint program by Times of India and Jang Group, Pakistan for peace in the Indian Subcontinent. It is supposed to be a people-to-people initiative type of confidence building measure between the two countries and any such programme should be encouraged. Everything about this initiative is in right spirits.

However, as a common man of India, I do not feel connected with this initiative. For me, this is just another full page advertisement in TOI, very much like the Mercedes-Benz ad that came last week. The objects of both these ads remain unachievable for me. I don’t know about Pakistan, but in India TOI has roped Amitabh Bachchan to represent the Indian face. Somehow I am reminded of the other campaign Mr. Bachchan was part of - “UP me dum hai, kyonki jurm yahan kam hai”.

If they were really serious about it, why not get the man from street in Bangalore, Mumbai, or Karachi and ask him to act in such commercials? Why not have reruns of Dhoop Kinare or Bakra Kiston Par on Zoom?

Call me cynical, but this too will fizzle out in a few days and in no time TOI and its sister channel Times Now will be back to their jingoistic campaign against the Government, ISI, the Army and all the related institutions in Pakistan. I am sure Jang will resort to the same cheap tricks on the other side of the border.

No comments: