Monday, October 23, 2006

Need help with Wordpress

Hello Readers,

Its once again my turn to ask for help. This time, it is regarding the Wordpress installation and problems that I have been facing with permanent links (permalinks in Wordpress parlance), since I have not been able to customize it to my liking. I have version 2.0.4 of Wordpress installed on Godaddy's linux hosting package.

As you can see, I have a lot of posts and under a few categories on my Astrology blog. When it comes to category links, a trailing slash at the end of the URL is making a lot of difference. i.e. for the category link:

http://www.planetarypositions.com/notes/category/astronomy/

if I remove the last slash and then refer to the URL as follows:

http://www.planetarypositions.com/notes/category/astronomy

Then Apache returns an error of 404 and the page does not appear at all. I suspect it is a problem/bug in the Godaddy's wordpress installation. I searched on the net and found out the following thread on the wordpress support site:

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/81515?replies=6

I have also been playing around with the .htaccess file under the notes folder. As of now, the exact text of this file is:


# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /notes/
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /notes/index.php [L]
RewriteRule ./category/(.*)[^/]$ ./category/$1/ [L]
</IfModule>
# END WordPress


Any ideas?

No comments: