Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Review of Indialinks

This post is also appearing as a review of Indialinks in Mouthshut.com.

I am a hobby astrologer. I have a small site on the net where you can find tools for generating kundalis and birth charts. I used to run this off of free Geocities. As the site grew, I needed something more than 4.2 MB per hour bandwidth and an ability to do some server side programming.

I did not do a lot of research and quickly chose a Mumbai based hosting provider Indialinks. I thought it would be good for the site to be based in India as getting in touch with support would be easier. I was also impressed that the engineers helped me bring up a sample application even before I paid any money.

As it happens with any Hindi movie, the actual movie was much worse than the trailer. Right from the beginning, the server was unstable. I regretted my decision in the first week itself when the site went down three times. On reminding them of the SLA and refund policy, the support engineers quickly blamed the servlet application and asked me to fix the problem in my code.

I started getting frequent emails from visitors to my site complaining about the performance and some even offered to help pay for the transfer to other hosting providers.

I am not much of a systems administrator and have never understood how Apache/Tomcat works, but during my interaction with the engineers, I realized that neither do these guys! They lack basic knowledge and troubleshooting skills to help the java developer pinpoint the problem. "Sir, abhi to chal raha tha, pata nahin abhi kya hua..." was the standard reply to a simple question - "Why is my site down and what is the problem?".

As I mentioned that I am a hobby astrologer and my working hours on this site are 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM. That is the time when I update the site, run into issues and try to solve them. Many a times, it is required to talk to the sysadmin. Indialinks has no concept of 24/7 support. After 7:00 in the evening and on weekends, it is rather difficult to catch hold of support engineers. If your site goes down on a Saturday, you can be rest assured that for the entire weekend, support would be sluggish.

I would not get into specifics of pricing, but there is only one word for it - atrocious. US based providers give 2,000 times more space and 50,000 times more monthly bandwidth for lesser amount of money. I found the servers to be ultra fast and very dependable. Not that you would really need it, but 24x7 support means 24x7 support. I see no reason why anyone should even think about renting servers from Indialinks.

As for me, I quickly realized my mistake and moved out only after six months even though I had paid for one full year in advance. I figured I would save on STD calls to Mumbai this way and would have peace of mind during weekends.

11 comments:

రామ ShastriX said...

Oops, sorry to hear this, Kshitij.

I was the guy who recommended you IndiaLinks. We had a static web site and didn't run into the problems that you have mentioned.

Anyway, I'll keep this in mind while recommending IndiaLinks to others.

Also, nowadays we use Google Apps for Your Domain after taking the bare minimum space (1 email ID and 5 MB space) on IndiaLinks ;-)

rameshkumarb said...

I am surprised. I have been using indialinks from 1998 and have never faced any problem. probably, that is because, I am technical and would know what is required from our side and what is expected from their side.

I have recommended two frieds and they are currently hosting there, without any problems witl MS SQL server.

They may be a bit expensive, but they are friendly and helpful.

Let me check with Bhavin.

Anyway, I am sorry for your experience. And hope that the new provider satisfies your requirements.

Wish you all the best.

Regards

Ramesh
http://blog.myspace.com/rameshkumar
http://uwanted.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Ramesh,

Thank you for sending me the link. I am thankful to Mr.Sharma for posting his experience. We do take customer's feedback very positively.

Let me highlight some of the points on our service levels.

All our servers & services do have 99.9% Uptime & Money back guarantees. Copy of SLA and our promise of service levels are available our website.

Every customer is assigned a Dedicated Live-Support Team which consists of group of Account & Support executive who takes care of customer (may it be sales or support related). We also follow a very strict review policy for quality control & ensure that our turn around time to resolve support tickets is always below 30 minutes.

We do provide 24 x 7 Support 365 days. Technical managers can be contacted on their mobiles anytime in case of emergency. Technical Support is provided over ticketing system, phone & also over online messengers. In case, we receive any ticket and we need to interact with customer, we do call up customers (including STD/ISD) to ensure that customer's queries are resolve at the earliest.

Our support is not limited to only server management. We even go up to Application Level support to ensure that customer can deploy their applications successfully.

In case of Mr.Sharma's website, there have been malfunctioning of his application causing servlets to crash. While his website faced issue, all other websites using servlets and other platforms were functioning normally. Support team deployed his application on 3 different server, but same issue was being repeated. Looking at the incidences, we did advise him to have his code cross checked, so we can go through the roots and have his application deployed successfully.

Its unfortunate that Mr.Sharma decided to move away.

Bhavin Chandarana

Kshitij Sharma said...

thanks for your comments, Bhavin. I did move on, but I hope you would definitely learn from what my experiences are. Over all, as I have always maintained that I am not a sysadmin, thus I can never tell what went wrong and where. I can just say only one thing - Indialinks is the only site where my servlet code had problems. The same code, without a single line of code change was rocking in http://myjavaserver.com/ and still rocking now in the new provider's site.

I do not need an answer to this questions - but for folks reading Mr Bhavin's post, this is a point to ponder.

I still stand by my review.

kd said...

Same issue is with me too.

India Links is WORST service EVER!

Adisha said...

i am always happy with technical service. But recently I feel like I have hit the jackpot with you guys.I will definitely refer to my friends to unlimitedgb.com.

kayadigital said...

Indialinks is always a pain when you try and depend them for technical support. It is best to host a static website, no doubts about that. Talk about Dedicated servers, Tech Support, Wordpress, DNS Updates and you have a whole 24 hour waiting time.

We hosted with Indialinks for a couple of years and moved onto Rimuhosting (www.rimuhosting.com), If you really want to know how good tech support can be, and how easy it is to host a Java Application, you must try them. Let me know if you need any help.

Anand Jain
98933 00060

Methinks said...

The worst service I have ever used (and I have used quite a few in the past few years). Their "technical" team is manned by a bunch of clowns who cannot be shaken out of their smugness, but do not know the first thing about what Linux hosting is about. Just lost nearly Rs. 2,000 since I have already committed to pay them, but am hosting elsewhere. Disgusting! Please stay away!

Methinks said...

Hi, for everybody's benefit, I have also written a short blog on why IndiaLinks sucks. Please have a look at it here:

http://najeebshaikh.blogspot.in/2013/01/indialinks-sucks.html

I hope this excuse of a "web-hosting" company runs out of business.

santu said...

I dont ever recommond indialinks to any one, because i dont want people to suffer like me.. I never ever seen such a worst support in life.Support and sales team is there to just kill your days and pricing is also very high..

Sunitha M said...

Read/write IndiaLinks user reviews here: http://www.hostingcharges.in/hosting-reviews/indialinks